Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) is a science philanthropy whose mission is to advance biomedical research and science education for the benefit of humanity. We empower exceptional scientists and students to pursue fundamental questions about living systems, and work to share scientific discoveries with researchers, students, and science-curious individuals around the world.
Founded in 1953 by aviator and industrialist Howard R. Hughes, HHMI is headquartered in Chevy Chase, Maryland, and employs more than 2,500 people across the U.S. Visit hhmi.org/careers to learn more about working at HHMI.
Janelia Research Campus is a pioneering research center in Ashburn, Virginia, where scientists pursue fundamental questions in neuroscience and imaging. The Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) launched Janelia in 2006, establishing an intellectually distinctive environment for scientists to do creative, collaborative, hands-on work. To learn more about working at Janelia, visit janelia.org/careers.
Under the direct supervision of the Janelia Human Resource Business Partner (HRBP), responsible for the coordination of a variety Janelia Research Campus programs and provides HR administrative support. Performs duties in accordance with HHMI policies and also acts as HR Customer Service representative, responding to employee inquiries and assisting in resolving general questions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Professional Enrichment and Wellness Education Workshops: Act as the coordinator for the Janelia Professional Enrichment Series and Wellness Education Program. Assist with creating announcements, invitations, signage or communication for employee events.
- Janelia Events Calendar: Manages and maintains the Janelia Events Calendar.
- Event Coordination: Act as the HR campus representative and coordinate and support events such as the Janelia Fall Fair, individual counseling sessions with TIAA or other vendors. Assist with creating announcements, invitations, signage or communication for employee events.
- Data Entry: Perform data entry for all transactions related to contingent workers including onboarding, off-boarding, and extensions. Provide back-up support to the HR Associate for all employee data entry activities.
- Postdoctoral Renewal Process: Coordinates and tracks Postdoctoral Associate Renewals, notifying Lab Heads regarding upcoming appointment end dates, reviewing Associate status and facilitates extensions and/or other appropriate actions.
- Rewards and Recognition: Coordinate and administer the employee recognition program and the HHMI Service Award Program for Janelia employees.
- Workers Compensation: Report all workers compensation accidents to external vendor, follow-up with employees as needed. Liaison with Environmental Health and Safety/Compliance department and Travelers on behalf of JFRC employees.
- Education Expense Reimbursement Program: Manages Employee Educational Expense Reimbursement Program for Janelia employees by responding to questions from employees and managers, assessing requests and processing approvals and reimbursements as appropriate.
- Intranet: Edit and update intranet and wiki pages for the Human Resources department.
- Other: Provide miscellaneous human resource related functions and responsibilities as assigned to ensure adequate HR support for the organization.
- This position has no supervisory or budgetary responsibility.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, HR Management, or equivalent in related experience is preferred.
- One to two years experience in Human Resources required, preferably in a HR coordination or administrative role.
Interpersonal Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent judgment, attention to detail, quality assurance, and discretion are required.
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion.
- Demonstrated ability to work with others in a team environment and proactively share information.
- Ability to request necessary resources to resolve problems and to complete projects within established deadlines and tolerances.
- Ability to perform and prioritize a variety of tasks, to learn tasks independently, to apply experience to develop new techniques and to retain information associated with tasks. Actively seeks opportunities to increase skills and expertise and to increase efficiency and effectiveness in the job. Remains abreast of HR practices
- Ability to deliver HR services in a manner that supports the organization’s specific culture and mission.
- Ability to communicate information and ideas effectively in English; both orally and in writing with individuals at all organizational levels.
- Ability to research and analyze different types of data and information and prepare and tailor correspondence appropriate to needs of recipient.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Approachable, open and welcoming demeanor.
- Occasionally lifts and/or carries objects weighing up to 10 pounds.
- Occasionally stoops and bends.
- Occasionally reaches and grasps with arms and hands.
- Work is performed in a normal office environment where there are relatively few physical discomforts due to dust, dirt, noise, and the like.
This job description sets forth the job’s principal duties, responsibilities, and requirements; it should not be construed as an exhaustive statement, however. Unless they begin with the word “may,” the Essential Duties and Responsibilities described above are “essential functions” of the job, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act.
HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Don’t forget to mention Naturejobs when applying.
Source: Nature Jobs