EMBL – European Molecular Biology Laboratory – European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI)
|Salary:||£2,387.20 + monthly; grade 5|
|Contract Type:||Contract / Temporary|
|Placed on:||21st May 2015|
|Closes:||21st June 2015|
Location: EMBL-EBI Hinxton near Cambridge, UK
Contract Duration: 3 years
Grading: 5 (monthly salary starting at £2,387.20 free of UK income tax plus mobility and other allowances where applicable)
The Protein Families team, run by Rob Finn, is responsible for the delivery of the world leading databases InterPro and Pfam, amongst others. You will be responsible for developing and maintaining web interfaces used internally and externally by the team. The main focus of work will be the development of a new website, unifying the interfaces for both InterPro and Pfam. You will also assist in supporting the development and maintenance of the other resource within the team. You will interact with the EMBL-EBI web team to ensure compliance with EBI web standards, as well as other teams at EMBL-EBI, which either provide data or use the team’s resources.
More specifically, you will apply your skills and knowledge to develop RESTful web applications and reusable interfaces and data visualisation components for analysis of complex and large datasets associated with protein domains. This will involve developing prototypes for user evaluation. You will also respond to requests and seek feedback from team members and external users to improve user experience. You are expected to be innovative, both through the extension of existing components, as well as evaluation of new web technologies. These processes will ensure scalability and extensibility of the web interfaces. You will be supervised by the web project leader and be expected to give presentations to both the team and EMBL-EBI audiences.
The EBI is part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) and it is a world-leading bioinformatics centre providing biological data to the scientific community with expertise in data storage, analysis and representation. EMBL-EBI provides freely available data from life science experiments, performs basic research in computational biology and offers an extensive user training programme, supporting researchers in academic and industry.
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree level or equivalent qualification/experience in computational, biological or related scientific discipline
- Experience with ECMAScript 5 elements including Web workers, web sockets, File API, and with commonly used libraries such as JQuery, Bootstrap and underscore.js
- Experience with web-based graphics such as HTML5 canvas, SVG and D3
- Knowledge of RESTful APIs, MVC design patterns and frameworks such as Angular/ember/react.js
- Experience in Agile development methodologies and version control with Git/GitHub
- Test driven development and automated browser testing (e.g. Selenium) experience
- Intermediate proficiency in Python/Perl/Java, web servers, Unix/Linux and some knowledge of unit/integration/browser/acceptance testing
- Basic proficiency in SQL databases, NoSQL and web security
You will have good team working skills, good communication, both verbal and written and be effective at multitasking and meeting deadlines. You must be able to communicate with biologists and researchers. You will also demonstrate innovation and attention to detail.
Please apply online through www.embl.org/jobs
Share this job
Type / Role: