We are looking for an experienced and dynamic bioinformatician with strong interest and solid knowledge of semantic technologies in the life sciences to join ELIXIR as the technical lead for data management and interoperability.
Your main task would be to provide day-to-day project management and technical leadership for the ELIXIR Interoperability platform. You would work with partners in ELIXIR member states and our core data resources to ensure interoperable and long-term viable data and metadata management approaches within the ELIXIR infrastructure. This involves mapping current and emerging data management practices, interoperability services and standards. Working closely with and supporting our international scientific leadership team for data interoperability you would play a key role in the development of a long-term interoperability strategy and architecture for ELIXIR.
- Serve as technical project manager for the ELIXIR Interoperability platform: report on progress, delivery and risks. Manage communication and facilitate the coordination of services. Bring together services, developers and users to drive partnerships and user impact
- Oversee the development process and bring together the geographically distributed project partners to agree and implement shared technical strategies and standards
- In close partnership with the ELIXIR Interoperability platform executive committee, ELIXIR Services and ELIXIR Nodes organise communication and collaboration with the other ELIXIR platforms and users
- As appropriate Organise and lead workgroups to develop ELIXIR wide strategies and policies. Manage and maintain a structured discussion with relevant project partners and user communities
- Actively explore global collaborations such as BD2K, RDA, FORCE11 to ensure relevance of the ELIXIR standards framework
- Collaborate on data management with other research infrastructures, e-infrastructures, and with national and international research organisations
- Support the implementation of good data stewardship practice in the ELIXIR nodes
- Actively participate in the international debate on long-term storage and publishing of research data, both nationally and internationally.
Qualifications and Experience
The ideal candidate will have a university degree in the field of life science, computer science, engineering or another quantitative discipline with solid interest and experience of bioinformatics/medical informatics research. An advanced degree in one these fields is highly desirable. Knowledge and Experience:
- 5+ years experience of technical project management in an informatics intensive life-science environment. Life science experience and solid understanding of biological and/or medical data integration including semantic integration
- Ability to lead and motivate technical teams in a distributed and matrix-managed environments environment to deliver against challenging goals and timelines. Experience of developing project technical specifications and performance indicators based on user research
- Strong interest in data issues both from a user perspective and from an infrastructure perspective. Experience in developing standards and/or data repositories is a strong asset.
- Results oriented with excellent interpersonal skills you set goals and prioritise tasks judiciously with a minimum of supervision
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and preferably at least one other European language
- Demonstrate a flexible approach, self-motivation and resilience
- Ability to occasionally work outside normal office hours if required and travel to ELIXIR Nodes across Europe as required.
We welcome applications irrespective of gender and appointment will be based on merit alone.
Applications are welcome from all nationalities – visa information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview.
Please apply online through www.embl.org/jobs
Applications will close at 23:00 GMT on the date listed above. The initial contract is for a period of 3 years with the possibility of a fixed-term extension.
It is envisaged that interviews will take place in the week commencing the 2 May 2016.
ELIXIR is a unique undertaking that consolidates Europe’s bioinformatics resources, services, and national centres into a single, coherent infrastructure. ELIXIR ensures interoperable tools and the long-term sustainability and reuse of life-science data through standards and common services. As a distributed research infrastructure, ELIXIR is built upon the bioinformatics services provided by the national ELIXIR Nodes
The ELIXIR Hub is located at EMBL-EBI, Wellcome Genome Campus, and has excellent facilities in an attractive campus environment in the Cambridgeshire countryside with transport provided to nearby Cambridge and Saffron Walden. At ELIXIR you would join a dynamic, international team.
For further information on ELIXIR please visit www.elixir-europe.org
Don’t forget to mention Naturejobs when applying.
Source: Nature Jobs