HHMI has a exciting opportunity for a contract Senior Financial & Budget Analyst to work on a assignment at our Janelia Research Campus located in Ashburn, VA.
In this role, the senior financial & budget analyst will develop and analyze budgets and forecasts for group leaders, shared resource leaders, and department managers. Summarize financial information, analyze trends and develop periodic reports and presentations. Assist Janelia management and department managers in a financial capacity. Provide business process documentation support to Janelia management. Develop, maintain and test financial management reports in PeopleSoft, Cognos and other reporting platforms. Participate in implementation and testing of upgrades of financial systems.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Annual Budgeting: Develop, coordinate, and analyze budgets for group leaders, shared resource leaders, and department managers, including meeting with Janelia management and department managers to assist in developing their budgets. Assist in consolidation and analysis of budgets for overall presentation to management and HHMI executives.
- Monthly Analysis and Reporting:
- Create monthly reporting packages. Work with management, group leaders, shared resource leaders and departments to create useful management reporting packages. Evaluate and make enhancements to reporting package on an ongoing basis.
- Analyze departmental expenditures on a monthly basis. Provide variance analysis and recommendations to group leaders, shared resource leaders, department managers and management regarding spending patterns in order to remain within budget.
- Interface with Janelia management, group leaders, shared resource leaders and department managers to review budget variance reports, and as needed, to assist with financial analysis.
- Provide ad hoc analysis reporting to management on an as-needed basis, such as identifying spending trends, analyzing variances, or for other purposes as requested.
- Summarize financial information for the monthly financial management presentation including actual and projected results. Develop financial presentation through PC-based applications including spreadsheets and graphics.
- Interface with and provide professional support and analytical services to specific departments through follow-up and assistance during the budget cycle and upon request.
- Review reports and analyses for integrity of data, accuracy, reasonableness and completeness as requested.
- Maintain and test financial reports developed in PeopleSoft, Cognos and other reporting platforms and coordinate revisions to department dashboards for management reporting. Participate in implementation and testing of upgrades of financial systems.
- Financial Projections: As requested, prepare financial projections to reflect operational changes. Maintain accuracy and consistency of presentation through multiple iterations.
- Documentation: Create and maintain policy documents, user manuals, and other documents regarding Janelia business processes. Post policy documents, user manuals, presentations, training materials, and other information on the Janelia intranet. Develop and maintain Janelia forms as required.
- Continual Process Improvement: Demonstrate initiative by regularly reviewing processes supporting group leaders, shared resource leaders, and departments by eliciting feedback and making recommendations for improvements, maintaining a high degree of customer focus.
- Administrative IT: Serve as departmental expert to assist users with PeopleSoft, COGNOS and other financial software programs. Assist as needed with administrative IT software implementations.
- Other: Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance.
Skills and Abilities:
- Analytical, reasoning skills and excellent judgment are critical. Self-directed, individual performer with lots of initiative.
- Strong oral and written communications skills are essential. Ability to format and edit complex communications, and reports appropriately – across functional department lines and/or to senior management.
- Ability to effectively interact with people at all staff levels.
- Ability to view business issues in perspective and follow-up on projects/assignments.
- Demonstrated high level of proficiency with computer technology.
- Strong working knowledge of all areas of responsibility. Ability to prioritize and participate in multiple projects simultaneously.
- Willing and able to assist others as required.
- Must be detail-oriented.
- Demonstrated can-do approach, with strong customer service focus.
- Minimum of 8 years experience in budget planning and financial analysis.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite (advanced Excel) is required.
- Proficiency in PeopleSoft Financial Management and/or Cognos is preferred.
- High-level proficiency in spreadsheet analysis and client server systems is also required.
- Experience in a customer focused organization required.
Don’t forget to mention Naturejobs when applying.
Source: Nature Jobs