The Proteomics Team Leader will manage and develop the EMBL-EBI’s proteomics resources and services, centred on the PRIDE Proteomics database. The successful candidate will lead the PRIDE team, currently consisting of eight staff members, and will be responsible for managing all aspects of data flow, analysis and presentation. The Proteomics Team Leader will work closely with the Molecular Atlas Team and other teams at EMBL-EBI, in particular the Molecular Systems, Ensembl and UniProt teams to ensure smooth data flow, avoiding disruption and contributing to an integrated EMBL-EBI view of molecular expression and function. As a member of EMBL Faculty, the post holder will play a significant role in developing and refining the EMBL-EBI strategy in this area. Responsibilities will include:
- Developing, building and representing the content of the PRIDE archive as the major node in the international ProteomeXchange consortium;
- Flexibly managing team priorities to maintain the leading role of PRIDE in the rapidly changing field of proteomics;
- Developing integrative, added value resources based on PRIDE, in particular PRIDE Cluster and the PRIDE Atlas of protein expression and its integration into the EMBL-EBI Molecular Atlas;
- Maintaining and developing EMBL-EBI’s leading role in the community standards development and implementation, in particular in the context of the HUPO Proteomic Standards Initiative;
- Managing the team budget and staff; communicating with the EMBL-EBI’s HR and Grants Office;
- Participating in related projects across EMBL-EBI, collaborating closely with faculty and staff at EMBL-EBI;
- Contributing to the development of the organisational strategy;
- Participating in external collaborations, presenting work in international meetings;
- Contributing to EMBL-EBI outreach and training activities through courses and workshops;
- Preparing scientific publications and presenting work at scientific conferences; and,
- Identifying and discussing with the heads of the Molecular Systems and Molecular Atlas cluster appropriate funding opportunities and applying for external grants.
The EBI is part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) and it is a world-leading bioinformatics centre providing biological data to the scientific community with expertise in data storage, analysis and representation. EMBL-EBI provides freely available data from life science experiments, performs basic research in computational biology and offers an extensive user training programme, supporting researchers in academic and industry.
Qualifications and Experience
Our ideal candidate will have most of the following:
- A PhD degree or equivalent experience in bioinformatics, life sciences, computing or statistics;
- At least 3 years’ experience working in the field of proteomics bioinformatics;
- At least 2 years’ experience in managing personnel;
- In-depth knowledge of proteomics experimental approaches and proteomics bioinformatics;
- Knowledge of proteomics data analysis methods and statistics;
- Good understanding of computer sciences, software engineering (Java-based), software development methodologies (Agile), high performance computing platforms (LSF), relational databases, and web design;
- Excellent scientific and technical writing, evidenced by a strong publication record;
- Experience in the management of international scientific collaborations and grants;
- Experience in organisation of, and content provision, for scientific workshop and training activities.
The team leader should possess excellent communication and presentation skills, an ability to lead a multidisciplinary team and to work in a collaborative environment. Excellent English skills are essential. We welcome applications from women, who are under-represented at this level; appointment will be based on merit alone.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme and health insurance, educational and other family related benefits where applicable, as well as financial support for relocation and installation.
We provide a dynamic, international working environment and have close ties with both the University of Cambridge and the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute.
EMBL-EBI staff also enjoy excellent sports facilities, a free shuttle bus to Cambridge and other nearby centres, an active sports and social club and an attractive working environment set in 55 acres of parkland.
The initial contract is for a period of 3 years with the possibility of a fixed-term extension. Application instructions Applications are welcome from all nationalities – visa information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview.
Please apply online through www.embl.org/jobs Interviews will be held at EMBL-EBI on Tuesday, 6 October 2015. Applications will close at 23.00 GMT on the date listed above.
Don’t forget to mention Naturejobs when applying.
Source: Nature Jobs