The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) is one of the highest ranked scientific research organisations in the world. The Headquarters Laboratory is located in Heidelberg (Germany), with additional sites in Grenoble (France), Hamburg (Germany), Hinxton (UK) and Monterotondo (Italy). The Structural and Computational Biology Unit is looking for an Engineer for Scientific Computing to handle the following responsibilities:
- Development and support of the scientific computing environment of the Unit.
- Support scientists to leverage EMBL’s high-performance computing power in computational workflows and scientific data analysis,
- Assist scientists in setting up customized solutions for data analysis and processing.
- Linux server administration including system setup, OS deployment and software maintenance.
- Support a network of about 100 Linux and Windows desktop and laptop workstations including OS and end user software deployment, network integration and troubleshooting of hardware and software issues.
- Maintenance of a mainly Linux-based software repository for electron microscopy, X-ray crystallography, NMR and visualisation software including compilation and optimisation. IT support of the in-house crystallization and metabolomics research facilities.
- Participation in EMBL-wide infrastructure and networking projects such as Bio-IT.
Qualifications and Experience
The ideal candidate will have a degree in computer science or related disciplines and at least 5 years work experience in an organization supporting large heterogeneous IT infrastructures. The position is particularly suitable for candidates with previous experience in scientific computing and who want to work in a cutting-edge research environment. The position requires technical expertise in managing current desktop operating systems including Linux and Windows. The successful candidate will have solid knowledge of current standard desktop and client application software packages. Experience in automation of systems and software installations and a broad overview of major aspects of networking and related technologies is required. Previous exposure to high-performance computing and different server technologies would be advantageous. Good communication and English skills are required and a basic knowledge of German would be advantageous. The ideal candidate will be able to work independently as well as working as a part of a team. A service-oriented attitude, excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work well and professionally under high demand are essential.
Please apply online through www.embl.org/jobs
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.
Don’t forget to mention Naturejobs when applying.
Source: Nature Jobs