The Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) is the nation’s largest private biomedical research institution, and a leading light in science education. We have achieved this leadership role by capitalizing on change, encouraging risk taking, and fostering innovation. Furthermore, creativity and excellence are fundamental to our success. We have an exciting opportunity for a Help Desk Technician III to join our Information Technology team at HHMI headquarters in Chevy Chase, MD.
The Help Desk Technician III’s role is to work with the Help Desk team to support desktop computer operations for scientific research, administrative and operational groups using a variety of hardware and operating systems (Windows, Macintosh and Linux). This position will serve as a desktop support subject matter expert and will be responsible for deploying, administering and trouble shooting laptops, desktops, system patches, desktop antivirus software, desktop backup clients, and Office applications. The Help Desk Technician III will also be responsible for providing in-person, hands-on, customer service oriented help at the desktop level.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Research and implement new and innovative solutions to administer and manage desktop, laptop and mobile devices.
• Create and administer system for centralized management and deployment of desktop and laptop system images.
• Administer desktop patch deployment system and schedule patches as necessary.
• Serve as desktop computer security expert, defining computer-based policy to ensure a secure computing environment.
• Define and document technical processes for efficient desktop system administration.
• Serve as a leader for other team members.
• Configure and deploy workstations using system images for rapid workstation deployment.
• Record, track, and document the help desk request problem-solving process, including all successful and unsuccessful decisions made, and actions taken, through to final resolution.
• Respond to incoming help requests from users via phone, e-mail and ticket tracking system in a prompt and courteous manner.
• Work closely with network, security and enterprise server teams to ensure effective response to support requests.
• Perform hands-on fixes at the desktop level, including installing, upgrading or trouble shooting software, hardware, file backups, anti-virus software and network connectivity.
• Test fixes to ensure problem has been adequately resolved and perform post-resolution follow-ups.
• Document all information pertinent to help requests and their resolution.
• Build rapport and proactively elicit problem details from users.
• Evaluate documented resolutions and analyze trends for ways to prevent future problems.
• Develop help sheets and frequently asked questions lists for users.
• Lead technical training for small groups of end users.
• Accurately record and track hardware assets for inventory management purposes.
• Technical certifications (Windows, Network, Security) required.
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field and six to ten years equivalent work experience.
• Subject matter expert supporting computer hardware, software and operating systems.
• Subject matter expert supporting Microsoft Office and various scientific computing applications.
• Subject matter expert supporting desktop computer security for Windows operating systems.
• Experience building, deploying and administering computer system images for rapid deployment and system image management.
• Experience administering computers using remote desktop software, scripts and other related technologies.
• Scripting knowledge.
• Proven ability to research large-scale technical support issues and present solutions to peers and management during engineering review sessions.
• Ability to absorb and retain information quickly.
• Highly self motivated with the ability to perform efficiently with little or no supervision.
• Proven leadership abilities and the ability to motivate others.
• Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities with a keen attention to detail.
• Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
• Exceptional customer service orientation.
• Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
• Good understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives.
• Exceptional written and oral communication skills, including strong documentation skills and the ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
• Exceptional interpersonal skills, with a focus on rapport building, listening, and questioning skills.
• Related support certifications (HDI, ITIL) a plus.
• Some travel required.
HHMI is an intellectually demanding, results-driven organization with excellent benefits. In order to be considered for this position, applicants must submit a cover letter and resume.
HHMI is an equal opportunity employer.
Don’t forget to mention Naturejobs when applying.
Source: Nature Jobs